Cosplay Plans: Phase 4 Part 2

Sailor Collar

Yes! More progress has been made!

bib1

Ready for ironing

bib2

Using the seam gauge and a piece of soap for marking

bib3

Twill tape basted on. Nina even mitered the corners. 🙂

bib4

My not-so-straight sewing on of the twill tape. T^T

bib5

Pinning the front and back pieces together.

bib6

Sewn, trimmed and pressed!

“…I’m not resewing that.” My words to my sister Maru when we realized that we forgot to add the darts in the shoulders of the collar. The pattern online didn’t call for it, however we had added it to based on how the paper pattern was acting and the fabric was behaving in a similar way.

To do the darts properly, I would need to tear out all my stitching sans the twill tape. Since I personally don’t like how close to the edge my twill tape ended up being… I would want to redo that as well. So no. No. No, No. NO.

I know a lot of cosplayers wouldn’t hesitate to tear it out but since I’m such a n00b with sewing, Youmacon being only a month away, having a full time job as well as rushing to finish convention stock this is not feasible. Each sewing appointment has to accomplish something and this is a relatively minor point when the rest of my cosplay isn’t done. As my sister pointed out, who is really going to look at the squiggly stitches? They are going to have a lot more interesting things to look at.

So yay! Progess!

Cosplay Progress

Slowly but surely!

Advertisements

Cosplay Plans: Phase 4 Part 1

Sailor Collar

Today I started my Sailor Collar with the help of my sister Maru. When I attempted to draft my own collar pattern a few weeks ago it was an epic fail so Maru found a basic pattern and modified it to my specifications. 

collar2

Left is a sketch of the original diagram and the right is the modified diagram.

collar3

I used newsprint paper for my pattern and followed along with the measurements specified in the diagram. A ruler is a must!

collar4

After I cut out the pattern Maru had me try it on for size. The neck hole was too small so she added an extra half inch to each side.

collar5

Modifying the pattern

collar6

We discovered that it still wasn’t laying right, so we rounded the back and added darts in the shoulders.

collar7

Pattern complete! Almost time to start cutting.

collar8

Marking placement for the pins

collar9

Snip snip!

collar10

Totally stoked! It’s starting to look like something!

Sadly that was all I had time to work on today, but I’m so happy to have it started! 😀

Thanks for reading!

-Anna ♥

Cosplay Progress
I know I’ve been skipping around with my cosplay but it will come together. Really. No foolin’. ^^;

Cosplay Plans: Phase 1

As I mentioned in my previous post I decided I want to dress up as my alter ego in a sailor fuku. So I went and picked up my supplies. 🙂

supplies

Royal blue poly/cotton fabric (bandanna)

Deep turquoise poly/cotton fabric (skirt & collar)

White lining fabric (skirt)

Thread to match blue fabrics

White twill tape for the lines on the collar

Elastic for the skirt

And pins to hold it all together. 🙂

Next step: Working on the skirt! Coming soon!

Father’s Day Gift

Pusheenhelp

Pusheen making himself comfortable on my project

anna_serge

Me using the serger for the first time! ouo;

anna_serge2

So far so good…

edge1

First edge done! Now for the other three…

blanket

Done!

edge

Closeup of the finished edges. 🙂

Picked up this striped fleece fabric from the American Sewing Guild fabric auction Wednesday night and decided I wanted to make a blanket for my dad for Father’s Day. At first I tried blanket stitching but it was taking too long and didn’t look very nice… so I brought it over to my parents house to use my sisters’ serger. Whee! For a first serging project I think it turned out really well! 😀

Happy Father’s Day!

[Special thanks to my little sis Nina for her awesome photography!]